[GLLUG] telnet

Todd Torrey todd_torrey at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 29 14:19:44 EST 2004

I have (supposedly), a telnet server running on one of my computers. When I
try to connect to it, I get the following message:

     [root at localhost todd]# telnet 192.168.1.200
     Trying 192.168.1.200...
     Connected to 192.168.1.200.
     Escape character is '^]'.
     telnetd: All network ports in use.
     Connection closed by foreign host.
     [root at localhost todd]#

xinetd is running on the host in question, but why am I not connecting.
Here is xinetd.conf:

     [root at localhost etc]# cat xinetd.conf
     #
     # Simple configuration file for xinetd
     #
     # Some defaults, and include /etc/xinetd.d/

     defaults
     {
             instances               = 60
             log_type                = SYSLOG authpriv
             log_on_success          = HOST PID
             log_on_failure          = HOST
     }

     includedir /etc/xinetd.d

Here is the telnet config:

     [root at localhost xinetd.d]# cat telnet
     # default: on
     #       unencrypted username/password pairs for authentication.
     service telnet
     {
             flags           = REUSE
             socket_type     = stream