Windows vs. Linux (was: Re: [GLLUG] cheap cd-rw drives)

Marshal Newrock marshal at simons-rock.edu
Thu Jul 1 22:54:10 EDT 2004

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Edward Glowacki wrote:

> Web development: Windows, because you have to run IE to test your site.
> If you have another machine (even a slow one or one you only have
> periodic access to) that runs Windows, then you might go with Linux or
> BSD here so you can have all the relevant server apps running on your
> own machine for development/testing.  (You can get apache/mysql/php for
> Windows by the way, there's a package out there that has everything you
> need.  Look at
> http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Software_and_Servers/Installation_Kits/)

Actually, I have IE running under Wine.  It's pretty neat.  I can see all
the IE bugs without having to use a Windows machine.  It's also much
easier to backup and restore.

And my gaming needs are quite modest (my favorite is a turn-based strategy
game with no 3D needs), but it was trivial to install and play in Wine.

Now, as far as if Wine works in BSD with a Linux compatibility layer, that
you'd have to ask someone more familiar with BSD than me.

> 2. How well can you administer each of the OS's?  Or how quickly can you
> learn?
>
> Whichever you can competently administer to keep up-to-date.  Both
> Linux/BSD and Windows will give you plenty of rope to hang yourself
> with, so keep an eye out and keep your system patched.

The difference there is that Windows not only provides rope, but
thoughtfully tosses a few hidden snares in as well.

--
CAUTION: Product will be hot after heating