[GLLUG] Re: cheap cd-rw drives

Phillip Hofmeister plhofmei at antiochcomputerconsulting.com
Sun Jul 4 20:23:45 EDT 2004

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 at 09:20:56PM -0400, Bruce Smith wrote:
> It's been a little while since my last attempt, so maybe the install
> process has improved.  I heard something about a new/improved installer
> that is still in beta.  It it still in beta?  Does it work?  If so, how
> can I use it?  If I download the latest stable ISO images, will they
> contain the new installer?  I would really like to try Debian again ...

"Woody" is still stable, so no.  They are working on something for
sid/sarge.  However, sarge has not been placed in any state of freeze
yet so the likelihood of a release within the next 12 months is small.

I grant you, the installer is not great.  Most hardware these days is
Plug and Play, therefore you don't need to know the IRQs, just the
devices you need (ie: eepro100, sblaster, etc.).  As I mentioned, they
are working on a hardware detector for sarge.  The current motto is
though "you should know what hardware is in the box".  If you don't just
keep trying to install modules until you succeed and find the one you
need.  A failed module insertion attempt is noted to you by the
installer, as is a successful one.

--
Phillip Hofmeister

PGP/GPG Key: