[GLLUG] Is my email server an open relay?

Seth Bembeneck sbdataspiller at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 9 00:11:38 EDT 2004

I'm running qmail on a Gentoo system.

My ip is dynamic.

Some mail is going out, others I'm getting a message about DNSBL when
sending to email addresses @sbcglobal.net

One of the websites (http://openrbl.org/) listed my current IP as on the
list and said this:

"IP address 68.79.83.171 is listed here as ameritech.net misc.spam.

The misc.spam group is mostly (but not entirely) composed of entire
addresses blocks that have a) sent spam here, b) have consecutive or missing
reverse dns, and c) have no customer sub-delegation via either the
controlling RIR (ARIN, RIPE, LACNIC, APNIC, etc) or an rwhois server
referenced in the main RIR records.

In particular, 68.79.83.171 has reverse dns of
adsl-68-79-83-171.dsl.sfldmi.ameritech.net. If your domain name does not
appear as the last components in any of those reverse dns names, that needs
to be fixed first. Any email sent to the address at the top of this page
will be ignored until that is fixed. "

What does that last paragraph mean?

How can I test to see if I'm an open relay?

If I am an open relay, How can I make it so that I'm not?

I got my domain from easyDNS.com, I didn't have this problem when I used
DynDns.org's services for free sub-domain (don't know if this info makes a
difference).

Any other info that would help?

Thanks,

Seth