[GLLUG] Open Source education

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Fri Jul 9 01:33:47 EDT 2004

Szymon Machajewski said:
> Could anyone share with me any articles about open source in education?
>
> At GRCC we are teaching three open source courses: Linux Admin, Apache
> Security, and PHP/MySQL Web Databases.
> I am looking for news articles or other sources that would bring up the
> need for Open Source courses.
> Also I'm wondering if you could suggest marketing ways for such
> courses.

It might be worth your while to take a look at the server and operating
that's dominated the Netcraft server rankings for several years now.
Linux/Apache/PHP are dominating.

Unfortunately you can't use job figures for your advertising.  Employment
opportunities in Michigan focus more on Microsoft technology or Java.  in
other words, it's great that you're offering these classes, but you aren't
really setting your students up for career success based on current
trends.  At least in Michigan, advertised job vacancies for those skills
are few and far between, with laughable pay scales.  If you want those
classes to be relevant to your students after school, you'd better pair
them with some courses in Entrepreneurship and Small Business Finance.
That's how they're going to have to make their money.

Clay
--
Lazarus Notes from Lazarus Internet Development
http://www.lazarusid.com/notes/