[GLLUG] Really poor SuSE 9 performance

Melson, Paul PMelson at sequoianet.com
Tue Jun 1 10:31:31 EDT 2004

This sounds like two separate problems.  If you run `vmstat 3` in a
terminal while you're experiencing poor performance in X11, what kind of
user/sys/idle CPU stats do you see?  If you see a lot of CPU
utilization, it may be the X server.  You could try switching to/from
the framebuffer X server, or try running XF86Setup to tweak the video
driver configuration.

As far as the package management database taking forever to load in
YaST, that's just how it is.  It's slow on my P2/366, P3/800, and dual
P2Xeon/500 systems, which are otherwise very responsive.  It doesn't
seem to matter if I'm running it in X11/Gnome or using the curses
interface.

PaulM