[GLLUG] Re: cheap cd-rw drives

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Wed Jun 23 13:00:12 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 23 June 2004 12:31, after a long battle with technology,
Scott Henry Harrison wrote:
> David Smith writes:
> > Nearly every time I burn a music CD it seems to skip after 1-3
> > months of usage.  I'm wondering if the quality of the burner or
> > blank cds has anything to do with this?

> http://slashdot.org/articles/03/08/24/1253248.shtml?tid=126&tid=137&t
>id=198
>
> My own experience has been that the quality of the CD-R matters
> more than the quality of the burner.

Even media from the same batch vary a lot.  The very first audio CD I
burned (April 2000, cheap Philips burner, 4x) is still good.  The
second audio CD I burned from the same batch of media at the same speed
died about a year ago.  The CDs were kept in the same conditions (in my
car) at all times.

--
   I think I'll have to put on 500 pounds of subwoofers, amps, and other
   delicious herbs.  --MegaHAL, trained on ASR