[GLLUG] Re: cheap cd-rw drives

Michael Rudas MPR_Linux at Ameritech.net
Thu Jun 24 00:24:22 EDT 2004

bfdamkoehler at worldnet.att.net wrote:

> I tend to burn cds in batches. One for at home, one for the car, one
> for  at work, etc. I have noticed that the ones that I carry in the
> car go "bad" very quickly. The others of the same generate continue to
> play without problems for years.

Some car CD players, especially Chrysler, have very tight specs for
discs.  Whether it's an attempt to reduce skipping or to reduce
"piracy"--I don't know.  I do know that Disk Movers, for example, sells
special "silver" blanks for use in car players.

Extreme temperatures, especially heat, can also affect some dye
chemistries more than others.  Azo dyes (Verbatim/Mitsubishi) are the
most stable over time, but they tend to be a darker blue, hence less
compatible with older CD-ROM drives or CD players.

   -- Michael Rudas