[GLLUG] GLLUG

Edward Glowacki glowack2 at msu.edu
Wed Jun 30 10:03:50 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 13:52, Bruce Smith wrote:
> > Thanks, everyone, for the info!  Yes, talking about
> > recompiling the kernel did freak me out,
>
> Probably not something you want to try your first week
> of using Linux.  :-)

Or for that matter, the second week either... ;)

> I used to compile the kernel quite often back in the early
> days of Linux (I started using Linux in 1994).  Luckily for
> you Linux has come a LONG way since then.  I almost never
> need to do a kernel compile anymore.

Unfortunately, with FreeBSD you have to compile your kernel any time you
want to do an upgrade.  =(  For that matter, you have to compile almost
*everything* on the system (except the initial install).  Most of it is
pretty well automated (Gentoo Linux uses a similar process), but it
still takes a while to build everything on aging systems.  Having used
Debian before, I know the power and capability of apt-get, and often
miss the ease (and speed) of upgrading with it.  At any rate, most of
the Linux distros are a LOT easier to use for most people than the
compile-everything method of FreeBSD, and they all seem to have come a
long way over the years.

-ED

Edward Glowacki				glowack2 at msu.edu
GLLUG Peon  				http://www.gllug.org
Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality.
                -- Jules de Gaultier