[GLLUG] Re: one more thing...

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Mon Mar 8 19:17:39 EST 2004

On Monday 08 March 2004 18:50, after a long battle with technology, Clay
Dowling wrote:
> Jolyon Michael Vincent wrote:
> >> One finds out what sound card one has by using "lspci -vv", then
> >> one modprobes the appropriate sound module(s).  Debian disdains
> >> "user-friendly" tools like sndconfig for the most part.  Hope your
> >> soundcard isn't on the ISA bus, since that makes things trickier.

> What does one do if it is on the ISA bus?  random modprobing isn't a
> lot of fun, and tends to result in a lot of hard booting.  I've got
> one of the old Digilink laptops with a non-PCI sound card.

If you have a laptop with its soundcard on the ISA bus, the best thing
to do is to Search The Fine Web for "$LAPTOP_MAKE $LAPTOP_MODEL Linux".
Or check http://tuxmobil.org/ or http://linux-laptop.net/ , there are a
lot of makes and models listed there.  I didn't see any references to
"Digilink" there, though--was this an off-brand/unpopular machine?

You can also try the isapnp tools, though I've never had to use them and
don't know how they're supposed to work.

--
   Love is a snowmobile racing across the Arctic tundra that suddenly
   flips over, pinning you underneath.  At night, the Ice Weasels come.