[GLLUG] Re: How do I switch back to windows XP thread: VMware

C. Ulrich dincht at securenym.net
Tue Mar 9 11:11:48 EST 2004

Jolyon Michael Vincent said:
> VMWare is not free, correct?

Correct. They used to have a free 30-day evaluation of the full-featured
product, but on their web site they don't seem to tell you what the terms
are until after you register, so I don't know if that's still true.

I've been following your last few messages and it just occured to me to
suggest that you may have a lot fewer headaches if you were to put each
operating system that you plan to run on a separate disk. That way you
don't have to fool too much with partitions and such. Just install each OS
individually with the target disk as the only one in the system. Then,
when you are ready to dual or triple boot, put all the disks in with Linux
as the bootable disk and use GRUB to chainload the others. (GRUB will also
do BIOS drive remapping and other handy stuff for multiple-OS booting.)

There will be some post-installation issues to deal with such as fixing
the devices names in Linux and Irix, but I think you'd find this route
simpler than figuring out the correct installation order via trial and
error.

Charles Ulrich