[GLLUG] Portal/CMS/Web site builder

Edward Glowacki glowack2 at msu.edu
Mon Mar 22 09:50:23 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 09:55, Szymon Machajewski wrote:
> Dear luggers,
>
> I'm wondering if you know about a project that allows a CMS system to
> create web sites without users having to know HTML.  I'm talking about
> WYSIWYG textarea fields, but wizard based page building like tripod.com
>
> We have an in-house software that does some of it, but I'd like to look
> at other projects.  This does not have to be even open source.
>
> I've looked at drupal, postnuke, phpnuke, Novell portal, blackboard
> portal, mamboserver ...
>
> We don't want users to have HTML access or WYSIWYG to prevent creation
> of ugly pages.  As long as we provide the template, or many to choose
> from, we hope that updating content in strict text form will do the
> trick.

You might take a look at Plone (www.plone.org).  I haven't tried to get
the WYSIWYG editor to work with it yet, but it does pretty much make
adding pages easy even without it, and everything is templated (users
can choose their own templates for their personal sites too).  Plone
runs on Zope (which can be its own webserver), but it's pretty easy to
setup behind Apache too for some level of integration with PHP-based
applications.

There is a new (and sounds like very much improved) version of Plone
that should be released any day now.  They've had the tarball up for a
while now, I think they're still waiting on the installers and such to
be ready.

-ED

Edward Glowacki			glowack2 at msu.edu
A PBS mind in an MTV world.