[GLLUG] Repetitive Kernel Compiles

Brian Hoort hoortbri at msu.edu
Wed Mar 31 14:48:50 EST 2004

I'm trying to fix a problem in my first custom kernel compile in a long
while (2.6.3 on Debian testing).  I'm no expert here.  From posts on the
net it appears I've said No or Module a few too many times in the .config.

Anyhow, so I'm left enabling one thing at a time and recompiling and that
takes forever on my geriatric PC.  After the first time, I'm removing the
offending line in the .config, doing a "# make oldconfig" to answer the
question for that line, then:
# make clean
# make bzImage
# make modules
# make modules_install
# make install

And that takes like, an hour or more.  So, can't I skip all that and just
do another "# make bzImage", copy the new image over the old one, and be
done with the rest since I'm only changing one thing?  If the change I made
was a module, I'd have to do the "# make modules && make modules_install"
of course.  Shouldn't lilo not even have to be run if the kernel file name
and links are still in tact?

Oh, and I guess another question:
The README says the "#make install" should be before the "# make modules",
but isn't that crazy, because the modules aren't in place yet?

Thanks for the help.  Sorry such a long post, but I don't quite know what
I'm doing, here.