[GLLUG] Wireless / Wired question

Gary Holbrook gholbrook at digitalintuition.com
Sun May 23 02:20:35 EDT 2004

Well...are they connected directly together, or is there an intervening
network?  Is there a good reason to use two firewalls instead of a pair of
switches?  Does each endpoint have only one SMB server, or are there multiple
servers?

It sounds like you might really want a set of routers instead of "firewall"
routers.  If you can disable NATting, you're in better shape.  What model
devices are you using?

Ex Fed (exfed at hotmail.com) wrote:

> I have two locations that I would like to connect together.  Unfortunately
> the locations are too far apart for wireless and on different floors so I
> will be using a physical wired 100bt ethernet to connect two wireless
> firewall  routers, my user already purchased the routers.  Both of the
> routers will dynamically assign the addresses.
>
> I would like the machines on the one router to be able to connect to shares
> on machines on the other router.  The router manual indicates it will port
> forward, and it allows static routing configuration.  Is there some way I
> could set up port forwarding for the ports required for this SMB/CIFS
> connection to that share?
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Lee

Gary Holbrook