[GLLUG] PCMCIA NIC

Marr marr at flex.com
Mon Nov 8 10:25:54 EST 2004

On Sunday 07 November 2004 03:50pm, Kyle Anderson wrote:
> I am trying to make my pcmcia NIC work with linux 2.6.  When I attempt
> to bring it up I receive a lot of repeated errors about irq being
> dissabled.
>
> I have yenta_socket , pcmcia_core , ds loaded
>
> Toshiba 2545xcdt laptop
> debian
>
> on http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/man/pcnet_cs.4.html ,
> it states:
> eth#: interrupt(s) dropped!
>      Indicates that the driver did not receive an interrupt notification
> for some reason. The driver will poll the card (with a significant
> performance penalty) if the problem persists. The most likely cause is
> an interrupt conflict and/or host bridge configuration problem.
>
> any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kyle,

When I installed Slackware 9.0 on my Toshiba 2100CDT laptop back in Apr 2003,
my previously-working PCMCIA Ethernet card (Linksys PCMPC200) stopped
working.

Although my problem wasn't exactly like yours, there are some similarities.

I was able to solve the problem via a setting in the Toshiba BIOS setup. From
my notes back then:

I used the 'Esc' key while booting the laptop, then the 'F1' key to get into
the Toshiba 'System Setup' menu.  I changed the 'Controller Mode' option in
the 'PC Card' section (page 2 of 2) from 'Auto-Selected' to 'CardBus/16-bit'.
Another option that I did not try was 'PCIC Compatible'.

HTH....

Bill Marr