[GLLUG] can't connect to Internet with mdk10.1 community

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Tue Nov 9 12:57:50 EST 2004

On Tuesday 09 November 2004 12:12, after a long battle with technology,
Ryan R. Matt wrote:
> To whomever may be able to assit:

I'm a'sssiting on m'chair right now, but I don't think that'll help you
that much :-)

> I installed Mandrake 10.1 community last night and
> after restarting the computer, my Internet connection
> no longer works. First I tired the configuration
> tools provided by the Drake Control Center,

Pointy-clicky tools tend to confuse things *unless* they work
immediately.

> Next, I tried to run ifup eht0, ifdown eth0, neither
> gave me much information.

For a static IP, you typically use "ifconfig eth0 X.Y.Z.W up && route
add default gw A.B.C.D" where X.Y.Z.W is the IP you want to assign to
eth0 and A.B.C.D is the default gateway.  For a dynamic IP, you just do
"dhcpcd -d eth0".  "ifup" is a Redhat-derived thing that reads a
configuration file somewhere in the mess under /etc/sysconfig and
eventually issues one of those two commands after going through a bunch
of (usually unnecessary) fiddling.

> I tried modprobe eth0 and there was no response.

The module for your Ethernet card was already loaded.  modprobe and
company only generate output when there's an error.

> So then I tried dmesg;
[snip]
> eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x41E1
[massive snip of Shorewall dropping packets]

> Now, I don't know what all of that means.  It would
> appear that the link is up so I attempted to connect
> to the DSL modem's interface, and it just stalls in
> the 'loading...' phase.  I tried to ping my friend's
> computer, but it won't work either.

What is the output of "ifconfig | grep -A7 eth0 && route -n"?  This
information is vital to solving the problem and it wasn't in the first
message.

> My ISP is SBC DSL

Using PPPoE or a "normal" Ethernet-connected DSL router?  PPPoE requires
some special handling, namely the Roaring Penguin PPPoE client software
or an equivalent.

Your firewall (Shorewall according to the dmesg dump) *may* be
interfering with something.  Try turning it off with whatever tools
Mandrake uses.  If you can then ping other machines, you need to
restart/reconfigure/something the firewall.  If the firewall was
originally configured to allow packets to X.Y.Z.W and your machine's IP
changed (DHCP or whatever, happens every so often) then you need to put
the new allowed destination address in.

> Thank you for your courtesies and assitance.

Well, shucks, this feller's thankin' me fer a'ssittin' down when I was
doin' that anyway!

--
   People don't tend to get paid.
   --MegaHAL, trained on Netizen's quotes file