[GLLUG] kernel compile

impact impact at absoluteinsight.net
Wed Nov 10 15:52:18 EST 2004

alrighty.  I'm no master at this, by FAR, but heres some stuff I can
help out with.  First off, make sure you have the kernel sources (SuSE
should be able to get them through Yast, i think).  They would be
located in /usr/src/.  Once you have them, you can move into that
directory and do a 'make menuconfig'.  This will give you a big menu
with a bunch of options.  Just go through them slowly, decide if you
need them or not, and set up the kernel however you like it (can't
really help you here).

Once you have a nice kernel you'd like to try, exit out, and type 'make
bzImage'.  When thats done, run 'make modules' and 'make
modules_install'.  This will make your modules that you selected, and
then install them in the proper directories.

Copy your bzImage to your boot folder, when you finish running 'make
bzImage' it will tell you where it is.  Just copy it into the /boot
folder, name it something you can remember.

Edit your Grub or Lilo conf files to add that kernel, boot up, select
that kernel, and hopefully everything should work nicely.

Sorry for the short tutorial, if I missed anything, someone please let
me know..

PS: Make sure to leave the original kernel (the one that works) in the
/boot folder, and in the lilo or Grub menus, so if the kernel doesn't
work for some reason, you can still boot a working one and try
recompiling the new one.

Good luck

-Dan Sherman