[GLLUG] Gentoo Portage Question

Joe Doss joe at inf7.net
Thu Nov 11 15:24:37 EST 2004

Once you get your system up and going it is safe to remove all of the
files in /usr/portage/distfiles/

However if you have to reemerge anything you will have to download the
package again off the net. It isn't really that big of a deal if you
have broadband and a fast mirror.  I normally just remove everything
out of that dir once a month to save space.

For a super fast local mirror use Liquidweb.com's mirror that is
maintained by Steven Collins.  The bulk of us Admins at Liquidweb use
Gentoo on our cubes.

Add these lines to your /etc/make.conf file to use the mirror.

SYNC="rsync://gentoo.genfu.org/gentoo-portage"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.genfu.org"

I hope this helps.

~Joe

Joe Doss