[GLLUG] UPS for Linux Boxes

G Grant ggrant at detroitaerospace.com
Fri Nov 19 09:17:31 EST 2004

When I had my hosting company, we used rack mount UPS's for a lot of Sun, HP and IBM gear. They were SNMP enabled and software that could communicate with the server(s) that were attached to them. This was not so much for operations to monitor the UPS as it was for the UPS to trigger a clean shut-down of the server if the UPS power reserve dropped to an unsafe level that risked sudden power loss to the server.

APS makes several that include software for Linux. I have included model numbers below.

All of these UPSs include a software CD with PowerChute plus for Linux (as well other legacy operating systems such as Windows XP). The software is easily installed. It has a really nice GUI that allows you full control over the UPS. You can set audible alarms, paging, email alerts, broadcast power events, run command files, etc., based on trigger events. Complete control over logging is also included.

Each UPS includes a serial cable which connects to one computer. If you have more than one computer connected to the UPS you have a few options. The first and recommended option is to buy the Web/SNMP card described above. It essentially turns your UPS into a mini server, where it communicates over ethernet directly with each UPS.

Another option is to have the UPS hooked up to one computer via serial port. The UPS then tells the computer via serial port that there is a power problem, and the computer then tells the other computers over the ethernet about the power problem. Unfortunately, APC's software doesn't support this. It can be done using the Open Source software described below.

There are two main options. One is apcupsd (http://www.apcupsd.org/). The other is Network UPS tools (http://www.exploits.org/nut). Both are really nice, and have all sorts of features, including web reporting tools.

APC Linux ready UPS's
SU620 Stand Alone 620 VA UPS
SU1000R2BX120- Rackmount 1000 VA UPS
SU1400R2BX120- Rackmount 1400 VA UPS