[GLLUG] New notebook purchase advice requested

Ashton Shortridge ashton at msu.edu
Fri Oct 1 17:00:17 EDT 2004

On Friday 01 October 2004 04:53 pm, Brian Hoort wrote:
> Friends,
>
> My laptop broke.  :(  I'll have to buy a new one.  :)
>
> I'm interested in their basic, least expensive, entry-level model.  Choices
> like Dell, Gateway, Toshiba, Sony are obvious.  I'll look into those
> myself.  However, I don't really need Windows, and I'm thinking I can save
> ~$80 going with a manufacturer that will allow you to not purchase Windows.
> Any experience with other manufacturers?  Any advice
>
> Thanks,
>

> Brian Hoort

I've been drooling over the ultra lightweights offered by Emperor Linux:
http://www.emperorlinux.com/

They distribute a Sharp Actius (2 pounds), preinstalled, for around $1600.
Practical? Dunno, but it shore is purty....

Ashton

--
Ashton Shortridge
Assistant Professor			ashton at msu.edu
Dept of Geography			http://www.msu.edu/~ashton
Michigan State University		(517) 432-3561