[GLLUG] Meeting Minutes, 30 September 2004

Charles Ulrich dincht at securenym.net
Fri Oct 1 19:59:37 EDT 2004

To all LUG members not in attendance, here are the meeting minutes of
September 30, 2004. Thanks to Roger for contributing to the majority of
the notes this week.

Vital Statistics
----------------
We had 10 people attend our meeting that began about 6:00pm and lasted
until after 8:30pm if you count the conversations that took place in the
parking lot.

LPI Certification 101
---------------------
We skipped the formality of any official business in favor of setting up
terminals for members to try the examples of bash shell commands and
concepts that Jeff Lawton was presenting this evening.

Jeff followed the text of LPI certification 101 (release 2) exam prep,
Part 1, including:
The concept of the shell, using "cd", paths (relative, absolute), the
UNIX file system structure, "ls", file permissions, directories,
"mkdir", inodes, "touch", "echo", "cat" and "cp"," mv", links (hard and
symlinks), "rm", "mrdir", "rm" and directories, wildcards, single vs.
double quotes.

Jeff also discussed many of the pitfalls and alternatives of the above
topics.

At the end of the meeting we had a free flowing conversation about other
bash functions, environmental variables, and commands.

There was food in the form of pizza.

Next Week's Meeting
-------------------
October 7, 2004, 6:00PM @ Atmosphere Annealing, Inc.

rdiff-backup and Other Ways of Moving Your Data About
by Charles Ulrich

Need a backup solution for your data, but don't have the time or money
for expensive tape drives? With rdiff-backup, you can make either local
backups from one directory to another or send your data off to a remote
machine through an SSH tunnel. rdiff-backup is an intelligent, powerful
backup tool built upon rsync to make incremental, bandwidth-efficient
backups. Charles will also discuss the various methods of migrating
data from one hard drive to another, upgrading hard drives, and other
backup strategies.

(We should also put on the agenda: discuss the upcoming schedule at
least into December.)

Upcoming Events
- 08 Oct Presentation: rdiff-backup by Charles
- 14 Oct LPI Certification Training
- 21 Oct Installfest and Beginner's night
- 28 Oct Presentation: [In the Works]

--
http://bityard.net