[GLLUG] openoffice fonts and pdf size

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Sun Oct 3 15:05:23 EDT 2004

Ashton Shortridge said:
> I'm hoping for answers to two questions from the group:
>
> 1) What is the reason for the huge discrepancy in pdf file sizes?

PDF readers natively understand the 14 core postscript fonts. The small
sizes you're getting are coming about because you're using a core font.
Instead of Paladio, which is used by Ghostscript, try Palatino, which is
one of the core fonts.  Times Roman and Helvetica are also safe choices.
The bold and italicized versions of all of these fonts are also core
fonts.

> 2) Is there a nice free serif font that will not give me bloated,
> bandwidth
> wasting pdfs? I like nimbus roman a lot - it's clean looking and compact,
> but
> I can't justify serving a 4 page text file that's over a quarter of a meg.

Times Roman is your best bet, because the PDF reader is sure to have it.
Nimbus Roman is a look-alike font that Ghostscript uses to avoid paying
hefty font royalties.  I'm not an OpenOffice guru, but there may be a way
to specify font substitutions when making PDF documents.  You could also
choose the option of not embedding fonts, in which case the closest core
font will be chosen.

Clay

--
Lazarus Notes from Lazarus Internet Development
http://www.lazarusid.com/notes/