[GLLUG] proxy server

Brad Fears brad at tricountywebdesign.com
Thu Oct 14 08:26:22 EDT 2004

It depends on the proxy server software.  I use a large installation of
squid, and I can tell you that compiling and configuring it from scratch
is no picnic, especially if you want to use features like content
filtering.

I first started running it on RedHat a few years back, but then switched
to Debian.  I found that getting squid up and running with Debian took
about a quarter of the time because of the apt package installation.  In
the end, however, most of the work (with squid, anyway) is in the
tweaking, which will take the same amount of time regardless of the
distro.

--Brad Fears