[GLLUG] Installing an additional HDD on Linux

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Thu Oct 21 12:46:09 EDT 2004

Bring your system to the meeting tonight and somebody can probably help
you out.

There are a couple of courses of action, depending on your goals.

If it's new space entirely, just format it and mount it somewhere in your
filesystem hierarchy.

If it's going to add new storage to your existing directory structure,
format and mount it in a temporary location.  Then copy files from the
directory structure that the disk will be replacing.  Rename the old
folder to something obvious (append -old to the name, for instance).  Then
remount the drive in this location and make sure things work.  If they do,
update fstab to reflect this new order of things, reboot to make sure it
really works, and delete the -old hierarchy to get your space back.

Clay

Frank Louis Tuma said:

> I am running a Debian Sarge linux server and have a 120 Gb HDD that I
> would
> like to install. I come from the windows realm where you just plug the
> drive
> in, windows recognizes the new HDD and create a drive for it. How would I
> go
> about configuring Debian to recognize the HDD and make it part of my
> filesystem?
>
> Contents of /etc/fstab:

> proc            /proc           proc    defaults               0
> /dev/hda2       none            swap    sw                     0
> /dev/hda1       /boot           ext3    defaults               2
> /dev/hda3       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro
> 1
>
> Is it possible to make the additional HDD part of '/' or should I just
> create a new mount point?
>
> Thanks!
> /:Frank

Lazarus Notes from Lazarus Internet Development
http://www.lazarusid.com/notes/
Articles, Reviews and Commentary on web development