[GLLUG] Re: Formatting in Linux

Jolyon Michael Vincent vincen21 at msu.edu
Thu Oct 21 20:36:19 EDT 2004

Matt Graham writes:

> On Thursday 21 October 2004 12:45, after a long battle with technology,
> Michael Harrington wrote:
>> I was wondering how [to] format large fat32 partitions(like 160 gb) in
>> linux. I get an error when trying the command
>>
>> mkdosfs -I F32 /dev/hdx
>
> "mkdosfs -F32 /dev/hdxy" , shirley?  You usually want to partition IDE,
> SCSI, USB, and Firewire disks.  Anyway, there's a size limit of 64G for
> FAT32 because something (number of sectors?  number of blocks?) is
> stored in a signed 32-bit int in the filesystem itself.  ISTR a patch
> for the Linux kernel that allowed it to use an unsigned int for this
> value and so use 128G FAT32 filesystems.  They may have changed the
> 32-bit thing in the latest versions of 'Doze, but I don't know whether
> the mkdosfs maintainer has taken this change into account.
>
> So:  Partition the disk into multiple 64G partitions, or use a 64-bit
> filesystem (ext2, ext3, ReiserFS, JFS, NTFS, ufs, or something.)
> You'll have to make this decision based on the systems you need to use
> this disk on.  If it's a Linux-only system, use ext3/Reiser and
> fuggeddaboudit.  If it's dual-boot, multiple 64G partitions are your
> best bet.  If this is an external USB/Firewire disk, multiple
> partitions are also your best bet.
>
> --
>    He is a rhythmic movement of the penguins, is Tux.
>    --MegaHAL, trained on random gibberish
> There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see

I remember this question! I think I asked it last year. There is even an
answer posted in a thread somewhere.

I realize that the installfests (although a wonderful thing) are designed to
install linux, but I think that part of the install process should be
backing up old data (for those of us migrating from a windows or other
operating system).  Time should be allowed for this during meetings.