[GLLUG] Meeting Minutes - 2 September 2004

Charles Ulrich dincht at securenym.net
Fri Sep 3 16:25:53 EDT 2004

Greetings,

Asenchi (a.k.a. Curt) has provided the minutes for the discussion topics,
(amazingly, I never even saw him take any notes yet it looks like he got
everything as well as some useful links) so I'll just fill in some of the
more organizational details that were discussed before the geek talk began.

Vital statistics
----------------

14 people attended the meeting, which started at 6:00PM and ended around
approximately 8:20PM.

Monthly meeting schedule
------------------------
A rough monthly meeting schedule was hammered out. Each month, we'll have:
- 2 presentations and/or projects
- an intallfest and beginner's night
- an LPI class and show and tell

If there is a 5th week in the month, we'll have a social meetup-type gathering
or potluck somewhere other than our normal meeting place, AAI. I should
explain the "show and tell" portion of the meeting. It's very simple: all
attendees who want to participate talk for a few minutes about a favorite
technology of their choosing. It can be a piece of software, hardware, a
nifty gadget, something you built, whatever. I'm sure we'll see some creative
items at some point.

Upcoming meetings
-----------------

- 09 Sep Presentation: Object Oriented Programming by Marshal
- 16 Sep Presentation: * by Michael
- 23 Sep Installfest and Beginner's Night
- 30 Sep LPI Certification Training
- 08 Oct Presentation: pf/BSD by Curt
- 14 Oct LPI Certification Training
- 21 Oct Installfest and Beginner's night
- 28 Oct Presentation: rdiff-backup by Charles

A couple of these dates had to be shuffled around at the last minute, hope
that doesn't cause problems for anyone. Basically, a meetup was removed and
an installfest was added.

Volunteer GLLUG Positions

Although there is a treasurer position, there's nothing yet for the treasurer
to do until we get involved with a project that involves donations or money
handling.

The Publicity Director's job will be to "market" the LUG and solicit help from
volunteers to contact community newspapers, radio stations, put up fliers,
etc, to get the word out that our LUG exists. Right now the only way for
people to find our group is if they happen to be looking for it. We doubled
our attendence earlier this year just by doing a tiny amount of marketing and
we'd like to see if we can do that again, but keep them coming back this
time.

The Publicity Director's job will be to schedule presentations, and let the
rest of the LUG know about what's happening and when. This will be one of the
more important jobs, because if we don't have presentations, we don't have
meetings! (Well, we could. They would just be rather lame.) Ideally, this
person would also be scouting other LUGs in the region for speakers and
contacting companies in the local area to give talks on how they use Linux in
their business.

The positions marked "(none)" probably won't have alternates yet as they
aren't terribly demanding and/or don't lend themselves very well to teamwork.
This is probably best left to the Primary to decide whether they want an
alternate or not.

Position               Primary    Alternate
President              Jeff       Roger
Treasurer              VACANT     VACANT
Secretary              Charles    Curt
Publicity Director     VACANT     VACANT
Presentation Director  VACANT     (none)
Webmaster              Brad       (none)

Location
--------
The need for a backup location was reiterated. Should the LUG grow to be more
than about 30 members per meeting, we need to be ready to move into a larger
area. If anyone on the list has any ideas, please get with one of us or post
their suggestion to the list.

Nonprofit
---------
We're also looking for someone who has experience in the creation of a legal
non-profit or can help us get in contact with someone who does. We need to
evaluate all of the pros and cons of such a move and need as much input as
possible.

Thanks and hope to see more of you next week!

Charles Ulrich
--
http://bityard.net