[GLLUG] problems with my sound card...

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Mon Sep 13 15:23:30 EDT 2004

On Monday 13 September 2004 14:58, after a long battle with technology,
Ryan R. Matt wrote:
> I am running Mankdrake 9.2, I have a 6 yr. old SoundBlaster Live!
> creative soundcard.  When I first installed linux, I had a problem
> getting my sound to work.  I read all the documentation I could find
> to try and resolve this problem and nothing seemed to work.

Of course not.  Reading things won't solve problems; you have to execute
commands.  A helpful thing to read is
http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html , which tells you that
you should give exact information and not paraphrase things.

> If anyone has any advice as to what I should do, that would be greatly
> appreciated.

As root, execute the command "modprobe emu10k".  That should work for
all SB Live cards.  If it gives you an error, execute "lspci -vv | grep
-A6 audio" and post the output of that command in a followup.  Getting
joysticks to work on an emu10k requires an additional module, emu10k-gp
or something.  Google on "emu10k linux" for more information.  HTH,

--
   "Unfortunately, men befriend women in futile attempts to get a 3D
   accelerated video card thingy..." -- MegaHAL (trained on ASR),