[GLLUG] Classes @ LCC

Junus, Ranti junus at mail.lib.msu.edu
Wed Sep 15 17:47:22 EDT 2004

The curriculum looks intensive and complete enough.  I agree with the suggestion that students will need to have some kind of "real life" experience.  Maybe you can incorporate that into the Choice 3 section (Capstone)?  The only drawback is this can't be offered online.

Here at MSU one of the faculty teaches a course on information technology <http://itmweb.bus.msu.edu/itm444/default.asp>.  He purposely designed the class so students will get practical experiences in building information technology and system.  Basically, the idea is to line up the projects and let the students choose which one will fit with their interest.  What's interesting in this course is the emphasis of project management, which IMHO is indeed important for any kind of web or systems related projects.  BTW, the course is adapted from Cal State Pomona (http://www.csupomona.edu/~llsoe/cis466/).

The reponses from non-MSU organizations are quite enlightening <http://itmweb.bus.msu.edu/itm444/projects/ProjectList.asp>.  He could only accomodate five (5) of them due to the number of students enrolled in the course.

I think this is a win-win situation: the employers can get the system they need and the students can get practical experience and beef up their resume.

Feel free to contact him (he knows that I am referring his site to you) if you're interested in developing similar strategy.

ranti.

--
Ranti Junus