[GLLUG] Newbie Installation fest?

Charles Ulrich dincht at securenym.net
Mon Sep 20 11:26:59 EDT 2004

On Sunday 19 September 2004 16:29, John Lewis wrote:
> Did I see mention of a newbie OS installations fest this thursday? I have a
> Sparcstation 10 that is currently running a limited version of openbsd and
> would love to see running solaris. Any chance I could get help with that?
> If not, maybe at least get x-windows and some decent desktop installed?

Indeed, this Thursday is an installfest.

By all means, come and out and bring the sparcstation along! There shouldn't
be any lack of people willing to help out. Do you have a copy of Solaris
already or do you need someone with broadband to get them? Solaris 9 is a
free download on Sun's website (SPARC and x86). Solaris 10 is also available,
but it looks like you have to jump through a couple more hoops and it said
that you have a "right-to-use" it for 6 months. No idea if this means that
the OS will only actually run for 6 months and then die or even if it'll just
complain afterwards.

Solaris 10 is supposed to be open source, so eventually it should be a whole
lot easier to get and play around with.

Charles Ulrich
--
http://bityard.net