[GLLUG] Newbie Installation fest?

Melson, Paul PMelson at sequoianet.com
Tue Sep 21 08:42:29 EDT 2004

> I think what Paul meant is they aren't releasing it under a
> "open" ie GNU/BSD license. They are doing it more along the
> lines of Apple's Darwin.

At this point, both the open source version of Solaris and its license
are vaporware.  There's been a lot of recent skepticism regarding Sun's
ability to release the source code for Solaris without SCO filing suit
against them.  But it still might happen, which wouldn't be all bad.
IMHO, if they want to compete against Microsoft, they need to worry less
about software costs and more about hardware prices.  I've been party to
several companies moving away from various Sun systems, and never once
has anybody said, "We'd stick with Sun if only the software licenses
were cheaper."  :-)  Just my $0.02.