[GLLUG] Meeting Minutes, 23 September 2004

Charles Ulrich dincht at securenym.net
Fri Sep 24 16:01:05 EDT 2004

Greetings fellow LUG members. If you didn't attend the meeting, here's
all the cool stuff that you missed.

Vital Statistics
----------------
12 people attended the meeting which began at 6:00PM and came to a
conclusion around 8:15PM.

Official Business
-----------------
Jeff reiterated our need for volunteers to fill the positions of
Treasurer and Publicity Director. Step up, if you can, because we could
really use your help!

Installfest
-----------
We had a great turnout and saw a couple of interesting challenges. One
person brought in a rackmount machine, but it refused to power on even
after much troubleshooting.

There were two Sun machines: a 32-bit desktop workstation and a 64-bit
mid-tower workstation with an x86 card inside it. The 32-bit machine
didn't have enough memory for Solaris 9 and the 64-bit machine was
building the Gentoo Linux kernel right up until it was time to go.

A first-time meeting attendee brought in a Compaq box to transform into
a web server. We recommended FreeBSD and explained many of its features
and had the latest 5.3 beta on the machine before the end of the night.

There were at least 3 other people looking for help with computers, but
I didn't get the chance to speak with them.

There was pizza.

Next Week's Meeting
-------------------

September 30, 2004, 6:00PM @ Atmosphere Annealing, Inc.

LPI Certification Training
by GLLUG Members

Want to learn about Linux but aren't sure where to start? Or would you
like to bone up on your Linux mastery so you can ace the Linux
Professional Institute certification exam? The GLLUG LPI certification
training sessions may be the answer. We present material straight out
of IBM's DeveloperWorks study guides so we're geared to provide you
with all of the knowledge you'll need to run your own Linux machines in
confidence and maybe even pass the LPI exam. We'll have experienced LUG
members there to teach the material and answer your questions in way
too much detail and to top it off, these sessions are FREE.

Upcoming Events
- 30 Sep LPI Certification Training
- 08 Oct Presentation: rdiff-backup by Charles
- 14 Oct LPI Certification Training
- 21 Oct Installfest and Beginner's night
- 28 Oct Presentation: pf/BSD by Curt

--
http://bityard.net