[GLLUG] Best Web/Desktop Programming solution (...)

Benjamin Minshall minshal1 at msu.edu
Tue Apr 19 11:36:06 EDT 2005

Jason Green wrote:
> At the risk of starting a major flame war, I'm going to post this
> question just to get some outside perspectives...
>
> The IT Department at my company (all 3 of us) is looking to slowly
> migrate away from our Access 2000 platform to something web-based and

You may really want to consider PostgreSQL as the database backend to
make use of the superior stored procedure capabilities and complete
transaction capabilities.

I really, really recommend that your program logic be stored procedures
in the database.  That way you can slap together as many different GUI,
web, palm pilot, "whatever" interfaces you want to the same application
and they will all handle your data exactly the same way.  Also you can
have your good programmer(s) write the program logic, and the good
designer(s) write the GUI/web without trampling on each other.

Good luck, it sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you!

-Ben