[GLLUG] Best Web/Desktop Programming solution (...)

Sean O'Malley picasso at madflower.com
Tue Apr 19 12:32:09 EDT 2005

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, Asenchi wrote:

> One question I have that I forgot to put in my last response.  Why
> not, instead of creating GUI clients, use the web browser to be the
> front of the app?

Along the same lines, why would you just write it in java? then you could
have applets and standalone applications reusing some of your codebase and
on top of that is becomes a lot more portable especially with the netbeans
framework and there is a ton of documentation.

I know the first thing out, is going to be speed, but I haven't found
speed to be a problem with the new J2 interpreters, nor are they the
memory hogs they once were. With pure java apps you also don't get a lot
of the crappiness (incompatibility, crashing,etc) associated with the J++
applications being sold as java but weren't cross-platform compatible.
In fact, I have seen a number of Java apps developed for HPC solutions.
(Blast being a big one.)

For a RAD tool, you might want to look at a tool like:
http://www.datareps.com/products/sfj/pro/index.jsp
If it lives up to half its billing, it is probably worth it.
I haven't used it nor know of anyone that has so take it with a grain of
salt.

Sean