[GLLUG] Best Web/Desktop Programming solution (...)

Michael George george at mutualdata.com
Wed Apr 20 06:33:34 EDT 2005

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 02:34:37PM -0400, Sean O'Malley wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, Asenchi wrote:
>
> I'm not dissing Ruby, but SmallTalk was pretty popular, Next(open)Step
> which is integrated with MacOS X, was a pretty popular OOP languages.

I must admit, I've not been all over the map in software development, but I've
not know Smalltalk to be what I would call "popular" for application
development.  I know it is useful as the perennial example of a pure OO
language, but beyond that.  Please enlighten me.

I also don't think I would cay that Next/Open-step and OS X "were" popular.  I
think they were ahead of their time and may still come to popularity.  I think
the biggest obstacle for that environment right now is the popularity of web
applications and a strange aversion to C.  I've worked some with Cocoa and I
think as a development platform it is pretty darn good.  It can be very
rapidly developed, has a full object library (that makes working in
Objective-C more like working with PHP, IMO), and is quite efficient.
Openstep is also OSS.  IIRC, Openstep is lagging Cocoa a bit w.r.t. included
libraries, which is unfortunate.  For internal apps, I think Cocoa/Openstep
should be considered as heavily as a Web app.  I realize, though, that
lack of popularity hinders that consideration.

--
-M

There are 10 kinds of people in this world:
	Those who can count in binary and those who cannot.