[GLLUG] Setting up a home server

Nader Abedrabbo aenader at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 10:59:39 EST 2005

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the advice.
I solved the problem to my problem in a different manner.
I used DDNS to create a domain name from myself through
http://www.dyndns.com, and using Dynamic DNS which assigns a name to my
DHCP IP. Also you need a DynDNS update "ddclient" which updates your
domain name each time you get a new ip. Luckily, I didn't need ddclient,
since my Linksys WRT54G router has a built in ddclient updater :)...
(You have to update the router's firmware to resolve an older problem
issue).
Also, since I have multiple computers connected to the Internet through
the router, which it assigns each its own ip, and since my router has a
firewall, I needed to use the "Application and Gaming" section to route
any  incoming calls to the server computer only. In my case I only route
calls to port 20 to the IP of my Linux system. The other computers don't
receive anything...

Also, for security, I used the "hosts.deny", and "hosts.allow", where
hosts.deny would deny ALL: ALL incoming calls, and hosts.allow would
only let pass only to the sshd port 20. and to make it more secure, I
only allow specific IP's to access my system.

Anyhow, this worked very will, and I am able to access my system from
anywhere i want ...  cool...

One point I want to mentions, is during my research I learned of a new
routing program that is supposed to make all this possible with
zero-configuration setup, it is called HAMACHI... This new program
(Which touted as ultra secure) can be found at http://www.hamachi.cc/. I
works on Linux and Win, and soon on Mac. According to what I've read and
heard, it supposed to be very, very secure... I suggested  to listen to
the discretion to http://www.grc.com/default.htm,
http://www.grc.com/SecurityNow.htm#18

Try it...

Nader

Thanks

Charles Ulrich wrote:

>On Monday 12 December 2005 09:56, Nader Abedrabbo wrote:
>

>>Can you please give me advice on how to go about to setting this
>>system up? If you direct me to books, web links that would be great..
>>

>>Thanks,
>>
>>Nader
>>

>If I get this right, you want to set up a server at home and then access
>it from everywhere else, right? You're in luck, as this isn't terribly
>difficult. If you already have a home network set up (as opposed to a
>single workstation connected directly to the cable or DSL modem), then
>you're halfway there. If not, google for information on how to put
>together a simple home LAN with a firewall. (I recommend IPCop,
>http://www.ipcop.org, on an old Pentium II but you can also buy
>firewalls from companies like Netgear and Linksys that work well for
>simple setups. They appear to call them "routers" these days.)
>
>Once that's taken care of, just install your OS, give the machine a
>static IP, and configure your firewall to pass traffic on a specific
>port (or set of ports) to the server. For example, if you want SSH and
>SFTP, have your firewall forward port 22 to the server.
>
>A few hours research should be enough to get you started. Sorry that I
>don't have any specific links to give you. You might, however, see if
>the Linux Documentation Project (http://www.tldp.org) has anything you
>can use.

Nader Abedrabbo, Ph.D.
University of Waterloo
Mechanical Engineering Dept., E2
Waterloo, ON, N2L 3G1
Canada
Cell: (519) 574-7234
Work: (519) 885-1211 Ext: 5887
Web : http://www.egr.msu.edu/~aenader
"Some Men See Things As They Are and Say "WHY?", I Dream Things
 That Never Where, And Say " WHY NOT?".
                                           -G. B. Shaw