[GLLUG] web hosting control

Mike Rambo mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us
Tue Feb 1 07:28:06 EST 2005

asenchi at asenchi.com wrote:
> Bill Bartilson spewed:
>

>>If it were my project to split up (and when I worked at Lakewood, it
>>was) I'd simply create a different user account for each segment, like:
>>
>>lsd.k12.mi.us/~sexton
>>lsd.k12.mi.us/~eastern
>>lsd.k12.mi.us/~everett
>>

> This sounds like the best solution.  You can even point domains to each of
> these then (if needed).

We already have: www.lansingschools.net
                  bingham.lansingschools.net
                  wexford.lansingschools.net

...and about 40 others. We (the IT dept) have set up all the master
domains (apache virtual servers). What we're looking for is a way to
hand off additional subdomain creation -

say wexford.lansingschools.net/~firstgrade
     wexford.lansingschools.net/~secondgrade

- to the folks at wexford. We want them to be be able to deploy (open up
a url in a web browser and tell apache/mysql what they need) those
subdomains as they need. This would also include them being able to
create mysql tables to go along with the web pages. We want to limit
each building to their own sandbox but give them full control over that
sandbox. We have phpmyadmin that can do this for mysql but I'm not aware
of any tool for apache that does the same. I'm sure webmin can create
virtual servers but I don't believe it can limit sexton to their thing
and wexford to their thing etc. Plus it would be nice to have it all in
one tool.

I think what we're looking for is something like what ISP's would use to
permit subscribers to manage their webspace etc.

--
Mike Rambo
mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us

Many today claim to be tolerant. True tolerance, however, can cope
with others being intolerant.
     -Nigel Cunningham