[GLLUG] Gentoo emerge error

Brian Hoort hoortbri at msu.edu
Tue Feb 22 09:07:51 EST 2005

Gentoo Crazies,

I've been messing with my Gentoo emerge and have broken it(trying to get a
wireless NIC to work, to no avail).  For the moment, I'd just rather have a
working X again.

In trying to fix it, I'm trying an "# emerge --sync && emerge --update
world --deep --newuse".  I get the following error:

!!! Error: the sys-apps/sysvinit package conflicts with another package.
!!!        both can't be installed on the same system together.
!!!        Please use 'emerge --pretend' to determine blockers.

Doing a "# emerge --update world --deep --newuse -pv" shows that:

[blocks B     ] sys-apps/sysvinit (from pkg sys-apps/baselayout-1.9.4-r6)

Great.  So what do I do about it?

Thanks

--
   Brian Hoort