[GLLUG] processing incoming emails

Marshal Newrock marshal at simons-rock.edu
Sun Jan 2 23:27:10 EST 2005

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005, Seth Bembeneck wrote:

> Is it possible to process incoming emails for commands and retrieve any file
> attachements from the email?
>
> Specifically I want to setup a special email address where my friends can
> send maps that they have made for a game we play (BHD).
>
> I want to be able to extract the map and upload it to an ftp server, and
> scan the email body for info that could be added to a mysql database.
>
> Is this possible?

Short answer, yes.  You simply have to set up an alias or email address
which pipes the mail into a command, rather than delivering to a mailbox.
The command will likely be a script you write yourself to accomplish this,
or perhaps altermime can do what you want, or perhaps a combination of the
two.

--
I decided long ago never to walk in anyone's shadow
()  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign against HTML Email,