[GLLUG] Good shell script tutorial?

Edward Glowacki glowack2 at msu.edu
Tue Jan 11 15:01:04 EST 2005

Mike Szumlinski wrote:

> Anyone know of a good place to buck up on my bourne shell scripting?
> I'm trying to gather various bits of info and ultimately throw it into
> a curl call to input stuff into a remote mysql db on or LAN here at
> work and I'm not quite sure where to start.  I'm looking more for a
> tutorial to get me started than a man page or even the LDP.  Thanks.
>
> -Mike

Just out of curiosity, any particular reason for sh+curl to input stuff
into a database instead of using something like perl (or python , etc.)
to directly connect to the database and do your input that way?  Perl is
just about as ubiquitous as sh these days, and I know it has database
modules for pretty much everything.  Even without the database modules,
it still might prove better for munging data together and sending it out
across the network (still using curl if you so desire).

As far as SH references, I assume the O'Reilly books are good.  If can
somehow look like you're coming from MSU, you should be able to access
safari.oreilly.com and read through some books online there (otherwise
you have to pay for access I think).

A quick google-and-browse turned up a few sites that look OK:

The BASH reference manual:
http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/bashref.html
A page on SH scripting: http://www.ooblick.com/text/sh/
Another intro-like SH page: