[GLLUG] PHP Help

Szymon Machajewski SMachaje at grcc.edu
Tue Jul 12 15:05:00 EDT 2005

Nick,

Maybe you are not looking for details in response, but for the benefit
of the list ...

Since RSS is a presentation layer standard it is really independent of
the server side technology you will use.

If you have already code developed in ColdFusion, just replace all
<cfoutput></cfoutput> tags with echo statements and change #var# style
to $var.

Depending where the data is coming from you will have to connect to a
database (see php.net for your specific DB).

I would suggest the following trick to save database connections and
avoid setting .rss ext on the webserver:

run command line every 10 minutes:

php  my_script.php  >  my_rss.rss

This way your users will have RSS with 10 minutes refresh, and your
database will not be overwhelmed.

Sincerely,

Szymon Machajewski

Grand Rapids Community College
Solutions & Development Engineer

Don't miss this Open Source opportunity!
http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html

>>> "Nick Kwiatkowski" <kwiatk27 at msu.edu> 07/12/05 1:11 PM >>>
Hey Everybody!

  I've involved myself with a company that needs some documentation
written
for a product they are producing.  They are going to be publishing RSS
feeds
with certain data, and they would like examples in all the major
web-based
languages to be included in their documentation.  Currently, they have
docs
written for ASP.NET, ASP Classic, MM/BD Coldfusion.  We were looking
for
somebody to help us write some documentation on implementing the RSS
feeds
in PHP.  If you are interested, please email me back at
kwiatk27 at msu.edu.
We do have a budget for this project, and are willing to pay per-hour
for
the work completed.

Thanks!

-Nick Kwiatkowski