[GLLUG] X using too much CPU

Andy Lee ALEE at courts.mi.gov
Thu Jul 14 12:33:48 EDT 2005

No, the system wasn't slow at all. The Oracle logs were reporting high CPU utilization warnings, but still seemed to respond normally. That could be what was happening. Are there better tools for monitoring system status?

>>> "STeve Andre'" <andres at msu.edu> 07/14/05 12:22PM >>>
Was the system in fact slow?  One of my problems with proggrams like
top and uptime are there concepts of time and usage.  Anything like a
load average is hard to calculate.  If X was 'running' for many hours I
wonder if top was seeing the total run time and on a mostly idle machine,
report that X was using most of the CPU.

I tend to discount numbers.  If things are slow, you'll see the pain in
trying to do things.

--STeve Andre'