[GLLUG] X using too much CPU

STeve Andre' andres at msu.edu
Thu Jul 14 12:44:14 EDT 2005

There aren't, that I know of.  So the logs were reporting a number, which
is what got your interest.  I've been in that situation before, which is why
I'm so jaded now about them.

I think a better approach would be--though I don't know anything about
Oracle--to monitor the amount of time a typical transation takes to do.
After all, if the purpose of the machine is databasing, then what better
metric than to measure the time a transaction takes?  I realize that your
system might not have a typical transaction, so that might not work for
you.  But in the rare cases where I couldn't convince people to not do
this, I've tried to figure out what an atomic operation looked like on the
system, and used that a as timing measure.

If you come up with some ingenious system, do let us all know. ;-)

--STeve Andre'