[GLLUG] X using too much CPU

Hampton, Rodney rodney.hampton at jnli.com
Thu Jul 14 15:48:00 EDT 2005

As a side note, there are times when you might want to run something from
the command line and pretend that an X server is available.  Xvfb is the
solution.

For example, recently I wanted to load test the streaming capabilities of
Real Network's Helix Universal Server and couldn't fork over a ton of money
to Mercury Interactive for their RTSP module (pricing begins at $15,000 for
25 virtual users!).  openRTSP won't really handle the real9 video format.

So, basically I forked a bunch of realplayers on some linux boxes by running
them from the command line and having them connect to Xvfb.
http://www.xfree86.org/4.0.1/Xvfb.1.html  I didn't incur the overhead of an
X server, I could push a lot more load per linux box, and I was able to get
some decent metrics.

Regards,

Rodney Hampton
http://www.hamptonandassociates.net