[GLLUG] Laptop and RedHat

Dave Rogers DaveRogers at stockalerts.com
Fri Jul 15 01:00:28 EDT 2005

Hi,

I'm a long time subscriber but a rare poster.

I'm considering buying a laptop and setting it up as a dual boot for XP
Pro and RedHat.  I'm pretty green when it comes to HW issues and
installing RedHat.  I wanted to see if anyone had:

1) An opinion on laptop brands or hardware combinations (i.e. video)
that could help or hinder my effort (see below for specs I'm looking at)
2) When I buy the system and it has one big partition for XP, will
RedHat allow me to partition off a chunk for it during installation or
do I need to use some other program to carve out a partition prior to
installing Redhat.  I'm assuming that Redhat will let me setup the
system as a dual boot during the installation, is that right?

I'm considering this Compaq laptop:

X6000 Series
P4/520/2.8GHz
17" WSXGA+ 1680x1050 (could step down to WXGA+ 1440x900)
512MB DDR2 400
DVD +/-RW/R & CD-RW
64MB ATI X300 (could step up to 128MB ATI X600)
54g wireless

Thanks, Dave