[GLLUG] CD-burning box: suggestions needed!

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Tue Jun 14 13:17:57 EDT 2005

OK, lots of suggestions received about the CDs we should have available
to burn.  The list now looks like this:

Gentoo 2005.1 LiveCD [*]
Fedora Core (all 4 CDs)
SuSE (all 4 or 5 CDs)
Debian install CD
The Open CD (open-source software for Windows) [*]
Ubuntu
Knoppix
Knoppix CeBIT
FreeBSD
OpenBSD network installation CD
The Ultimate Boot CD [*]
IPCop
m0n0wall
LAS Linux
P.H.L.A.K  (Professional Hackers Linux Assault Kit)

...that's 22 ISO images by my count.  I have copies of the ones with [*]
marked by them on my laptop's hard disk right now, so nobody needs to
bring those.  The others... well, hope somebody has them or can
download them!  We can of course start with a few images and add more
later; it's trivial to put an "every 10 minutes, check to see if mtime
on config file is newer than it was at script startup; if so, reload
config file" into the script.

I sort of had to make the bottom window a Gtk2::SimpleList instead of a
VButtonBox, so we could scroll it with the arrow keys without going
through frickin' contortions.  This changes the look of the thing a
bit, but it's still really really obvious which image is currently
selected (big blue text) and which images aren't currently selected
(smaller gray text).

Chick Tower wrote:
> Why bother converting it to C if it works now, Matt?

I had originally wanted to remove the Perl and Gtk2::Perl dependencies.
Unnecessary dependencies are bad! :-).  And I wanted to see how
difficult it would be.  But yes, if it ain't broke, fix it until it
*is* broke.  I'll leave it as Perl for now.

The "dpkg -l | grep -i gtk2" thing Jeff ran showed that it should be
pretty easy to "apt-get install perl libgtk2-perl cdrecord" and have
everything work.  The thing is that if the current Debian kernel is
2.6.[89], cd-burning may not work properly, and if it's 2.4.N,
cd-burning will require tweaking the config file and booting with
"hdX=ide-scsi".  Oh well, we can burn those bridges after we've jumped
across them.

--
   "Which you then convert to gold, non-perishable food, firearms, good
   liquor & a secluded hideaway in the last of the internet official