[GLLUG] Is this USB2 PCMCIA card compatible w/ Linux?

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Wed Jun 22 19:45:05 EDT 2005

On Wednesday 22 June 2005 18:17, after a long battle with technology,
Yao-Ying Chien wrote:
> IBM ThinkPad T22, 900MHz.  However it has only USB-1 port. So I am
> about to buy USB-2 PCMCIA card. I am looking at a "TRENDnet 4-Port USB
> 2.0 Host PC Card (model TU2-H4PC)",
>
> I googled, but could not find anyone discussed its compatibility with
> Linux or divers. Can I expect that Linux would automatically
> recognize the card? Or I better stay away?

All USB 2 chipsets are supposed to follow the EHCI standards that Intel
and someone developed.  As such, any USB 2 PCMCIA card should work as
long as your kernel is reasonably recent and the cardmgr daemon is
running.  I don't know if you'll be able to get the theoretical 480
Mbit/s speed out of it, but it'll certainly be faster than USB 1.

--
   Aye, on the shores of darkness there is light
     And precipices show untrodden green