[GLLUG] sbc x comcast

Nick Kwiatkowski kwiatk27 at msu.edu
Mon Jun 27 22:24:36 EDT 2005

One thing to note with SBC vs. Comcast -- SBC in the Mid-Michigan area uses
PPPoE (PPP Dialer over Ethernet) to authenticate its users.  Because of
this, every time you are forced to "re-dial" your connection, you will more
than likely get a new IP address.

Speed and ping-times for DSL are dependent on the distance from the Central
Office.  To find out the distance to the central office from your location,
use DSLReport's website :  http://www.dslreports.com/prequal/distance.
Under 10,000 feet you should have no problem obtaining any speed they offer
-- under 15,000 you should have no problem with a 1MB service... as you get
closer to 20,000 your service will become slower.

You may want to check other DSL services as well.  ACD.NET, Arielink
(CRT.NET), EarthLink, and others have a strong presence in the Lansing
market..

Hosting can be a tricky thing with ANY ISP.  While most do not care, some
will scan their subnets for any commercial websites that are operating.
Just keep that in mind when you are setting up anything that answers on port
80..

As far as having a web-server on port 80, SBC by default will block port 80
(and 25, 110, among others), however a quick call to the tech support line
will open it up.  Other ISPs that I've used, CRT and ACD do not block any
incoming ports by default.

Using a service such as DynDNS.ORG, or DtDNS.NET will allow you to have your
own hostname / domain name come to your box.  Just take a look at which
clients are available for each.  Some services have only a Java or win32
client, where some give you Perl or c++ scripts to compile on whichever OS
you use.

Hope some of this info helps :)

-Nick Kwiatkowski