[GLLUG] Presentations

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Wed Mar 2 15:54:17 EST 2005

On Wednesday 02 March 2005 15:22, after a long battle with technology,
Asenchi wrote:
> I've come out of hiding to request proposals for presentations.
> Sorry this is so late, been very very busy, but we need a March 17th
> presentation.  If you are interested in short notice topics, let me
> know and we will sign you up.

Last meeting, Jeff said something about a KDE presentation.  I've been
using KDE since version 1 and can probably put something together in 2
weeks.  I can make it basic or more advanced; whatever people would
like.  I was thinking something like so:

0. What is this KDE thing, anyway?
1. The Konqueror file manager/web browser
   1.1 What are all these buttons for?
   1.2 copying, moving, deleting, renaming files
   1.3 directory properties and icons
2. The KDE Control Center--where the action is
   2.1 What is all this junk?
   2.2 Changing your KDE's window, color, font, and icon themes
   2.3 File associations, MIME types, left-click vs. middle-click
   2.4 The KDE Taskbar and how to fiddle with it
   2.5 aRts and its problems/pitfalls
   2.6 Making it all go faster
3. Nifty KDE things to do
   3.1 "fish?" Konqueror and KDE IOslaves make some things easier
   3.2 KDE Desktop Sharing--VNC made simpler
   3.3 DCOP--control your KDE apps from shell/python/C++
   3.4 (put something else here)
4. Specific KDE applications that might help you
   4.1 konsole--xterm with tabs and menus
   4.2 kmail--powerful e-mail client
   4.3 k3b--very nice CD/DVD-burning application
   4.4 (put more here... kopete?)
5. Questions from the audience
   5.1 optional throwing things at presenter

...can expand or contract sections of this according to what people want
to see, so write in with your requests.  My laptop has a VGA-out port
that works, so I can demonstrate on it if Roger's main machine in the
meeting room doesn't have KDE on it.

--
   Some people are alive only because it is traditional to keep
   torturing the poor guy about being lost in the machine room with an