[GLLUG] gentoo Question 2: package descriptions

Marshal Newrock marshal at simons-rock.edu
Tue Mar 8 19:57:11 EST 2005

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005, Brian Hoort wrote:

> I haven't figured out how to just see a description without emerge processing
> the whole damn portage tree.  If I just want to see the description of VIM,
> do I have to "# emerge -pv vim"?  Isn't there a faster way, for instance,
> "# emerge --showdescriptononly vim"

emerge esearch, run eupdatedb, and then use "esearch packagename" instead
of "emerge -s packagename".  And instead of "emerge sync", use "esync",
which runs eupdatedb after the sync and tells you what's changed.
eupdatedb does take a while to run, but then esearch is very fast.

I've also heard that eix is faster than esearch, but I haven't tried it
yet.

--
I decided long ago never to walk in anyone's shadow
()  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign against HTML Email,