[GLLUG] data recovery & RSVP

David Smith smithd98 at msu.edu
Wed Mar 9 21:34:03 EST 2005

I'll be coming tomorrow.

A couple weeks ago I lost a lot of data.

I used cfdisk to create a partition
/dev/hdh1

Then i did mk2fs /dev/hdh

Then I mounted /dev/hdh.

I then copied roughly 240GB data to it.

After I restarted my computer, the drive wouldn't mount.

I used dd to copy /dev/hdh to another 250gb hard drive.

After the data was copied I created a partition /dev/hdh1 and did mk2fs
/dev/hdh1.

Then I used dd to copy the data back.  There was an error at the end
because the drive was out of space (I'm assuming the space the partition
table takes up).

I tried to mount the drive but couldnt.

I did fsck /dev/hdh1 or /dev/hdh I can't remember.

There were many errors.  The program ran for 8-13 hours or so fixing
errors ( I left a screw driver holding down the 'y' key )

I did an additional 2-3 fscks until I stopped receiving errors.

I can now mount /dev/hdh1, but everything is missing.

when I do fsck /dev/hdh1 I get
"The filesystem size (according to the superblock ) is 61049646 blocks
The physical size of the device is 61049000 blocks
Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt!

When I do fsck /dev/hdh I get
Group descriptors lok bad... trying backup blocks...
Bad magic number in super-blcok while trying to open /dev/hdh

filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else ), then the superblock
is corrup and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:

Also, I still have the dd copy on the other drive...

Any ideas?

--
--dave

(517) 944-1872